RFC - Raw Kernel Headers

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Tue Mar 7 20:21:41 PST 2006

A lot of you may have noticed the LLH kernel headers have not been
updated as promised. With that in mind, I decided to do some tests over
the past few days building LFS and CLFS with raw kernel headers.
Unfortunately the raw kernel headers are not enough, but with minor
modifications, they do work perfectly. I have tested 6 builds on 3
different platforms, x86, Sparc, and MIPS. With no issues at all. I
created a small bash script that will create the headers. This script is
available at http://ftp.jg555.com/headers/headers.

What I ask from the more advanced members of LFS and CLFS is to give
them a try, comment on them. Would they be useful to use as a temporary
alternative. a viable alternative, hard to maintain, or is it a waste of
time?

My testing has only been on the LFS and CLFS builds, if someone is
interested in doing builds beyond these books and sharing their results
with the community and myself, I personally would appreciate it.

I'm only posting this because my results have been positive, and I think
the community has a right to see what I've come up with in 18 hours that
I've worked on this.

--
------
jim at linuxfromscratch.org