nVidia install problems

Theo Schneider theo at schneider-berlin.net
Mon Mar 13 04:35:59 PST 2006

Hi John,

John Gay schrieb:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 15:23, John Gay wrote:
>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> I'm not happy with three different X11R6/lib's, so I'll have to dig through
>> the --advanced settings to see where I can fix this properly.
>>

> Well, after several attempts to bend this driver to my will, it still insists
> on installing some stuff in /usr/lib64, even though I have managed to
> convince it to use /lib/ and /usr/X11R6/lib/
>
> Can I get away with just moving the stuff from /usr/lib64 back to /usr/lib or
> would this create problems? I'm only semi-literate when it comes to using
> libs,
>

> Cheers,
>
> 	John Gay

i has xorg install in /usr, so i dont need the /usr/X11R6/lib64 link.
Here is how i install the nvidia driver:
create some symlinks
/lib64 -> /lib
/usr/lib64 -> /usr/lib64
/usr/X11R6/lib64 -> /usr/X11R6/lib

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run -a --ui=none
dont install the 32bit libs!

delete the symlinks

edit /usr/lib/libGL.la, change lib64 to lib
ldconfig

thats all.

I install the 32bit libs manual.

mfg