nVidia install problems

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon Mar 13 03:48:38 PST 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 07:53, John Gay wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 12:35, Theo Schneider wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > John Gay schrieb:
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > 	John Gay
> >
> > i has xorg install in /usr, so i dont need the /usr/X11R6/lib64 link.
> > Here is how i install the nvidia driver:
> > create some symlinks
> > /lib64 -> /lib
> > /usr/lib64 -> /usr/lib64
> > /usr/X11R6/lib64 -> /usr/X11R6/lib
> >
> > sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run -a --ui=none
> > dont install the 32bit libs!
> >
> > delete the symlinks
> >
> > edit /usr/lib/libGL.la, change lib64 to lib
> > ldconfig
> >
> > thats all.
> >
> > I install the 32bit libs manual.
>
> Sounds like a plan to me! I'll give it a try and report back.

Well, this worked a treat, and didn't leave a bunch of symlinks hanging about!

As for my glx problems, seems nvidia was defaulting to 8bpp, and acceleration
doesn't kick in under 16bpp. Adding DefaultDepth 24 to the "Screen" Section
fixed this problem. glxgears reports >9200 fps now. Before I installed the
nvidia driver glxinfo or glxgears caused the PC to strangely lock-up? The
mouse moved, but wouldn't click and the keyboard was completely dead, even
caps lock wouldn't lightup? But I've seen this before with the nv driver.

Anyway, the above technique is a good plan for installing nVidia's drivers. We
should also mention that the 1.0.8178 version also needs a patch from nvidia
for kernel-2.6.16 to compile the kernel driver.

Cheers,

	John Gay