Build kdebase fails )-:

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 15 09:00:59 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, John Gay wrote:

> As I said, I don't have any libXau.so files. This is all I have:
> root at john:/home/john# ls -l /mnt/lfs/usr/X11R6/lib/libXau*
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 17948 Mar  9 10:48 /mnt/lfs/usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a
[...]
> I built X11R6.8.2-src.tar.bz2

  That's the problem.  I've just taken a look at my old system, from last
July, and it too only has libXau.a !  Worked for kde-3.4.1 :-(

> But since I wiped the xc and xcbuild, my log is missing. Looks like it only
> built the static lib, not the shared one.
>
> Lesson learnt. So, can I get away with re-building X, without installing and
> just putting the shared lib in place?

  So, I think you need 6.9, which means a full reinstall of X.

> I'm interested in trying the new X-7.0, but the build process has got me
> worried and I don't know how nicely nVidia's driver will play with it either.

  The build process looks "interesting" - I'm interested in trying it,
and cutting out everything I don't want, but I expect a lot of pain (and
it _really_ needs a full desktop build afterwards, to find out what is
missing).  At the moment, I've got more than enough other things to play
with.