Build kdebase fails )-:

Ryan Kish rpkish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:08:41 PST 2006

Hello, this is my first post to this list. I would like to start by
thanking all of the fine people who have contributed to the multi-lib
x86_64 book as well as this list. It took some time, but I have
successfully built the multi-lib system from my LFS i386 system. While
the base system went surprisingly well, I have not been so fortunate
in my attempts to build out my desktop. This brings me to why I am
replying to this particular thread:

> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> <NOTE>Don't have /usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a?</NOTE>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libkdeinit_ksmserver.la] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/blfs/kdebase-3.5.1/ksmserver'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/blfs/kdebase-3.5.1/ksmserver'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/blfs/kdebase-3.5.1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I was successful in compiling Xorg 6.8.2. Once I confirmed X was
working, I went on to build KDE.  My build of kdebase bombed out at
exactly the same place. I attempted to get past this error by trying
out a horrible idea, i.e. I moved libXau.a to libXau.a.old and created
a sym link from libXaw.so to libXau.a. This allowed kdebase to finish
compiling. However, my kde install is hopelessly broken (surprise). I
get squares rather then fonts (granted this could be for an entirely
different reason).

Reading through the replies to John's email, it looks like I should
try to rebuild Xorg, possibly with Xorg 6.9 and then kde? Can anyone
inform me how to force Xorg to build a shared  libXau? Anyone happen
to have suggestions for the site.def file?

thanks,
Ryan