Build kdebase fails )-:

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Mar 16 03:30:04 PST 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 22:01, Joe Ciccone wrote:
> John Gay wrote:
> >>/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a(AuFileName.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> >> against `
> >>a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> >> with -fPI
>
> Here are 2 patches for xorg that might be of use to you,
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jciccone/X11R6.8.1-IncludeSharedObjectInNo
>rmalLib-1.patch and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jciccone/X11R6.8.1-fix_shared_libXau_link-
>1.patch

I'll have a look, I'd rather just build-N-copy the shared lib than go back and
rebuild X, then re-install nvidia, then rebuild . . .

You get the idea. But It might be better to start over.

Thanx to everyone's input! Again, this is just a trial run. I'm hoping to
attempt X.org-7.0 so that future X updates can be piece by piece rather than
an entire rebuild. I wonder how 7.0 works with an existing nvidia driver
install? Will I be able to just leave out X.org's version of what nVidia
provide, or will I still have to build X.org's version and get nvidia to
replace what it wants?

Cheers,

	John Gay