chroot method: archs combos allowed

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 25 04:56:13 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, M.Canales.es wrote:

> And I think that x86_64-multilib could to build both any ix86 or x86_64-64.
>
> For the rest of archs, is there some additional combos allowed in the chroot
> method?
>
> Thanks :-)

  Why do you think that x86_64-64 can't do the same ?  Provided the
kernel can do 32-bit emulation (OK, that is probably not mandatory for
pure64), both variants of x86_64 should have the same capabilities for
cross-compiling.

  For ppc, 'G5' macs (970 processors) need a 64-bit kernel anyway, so you
have to go beyond the book to build the headers, C cross-compiler and
binutils (only).  Therefore, they can equally chroot while trying to
build ppc64 multilib.