Section 2: Partitioning

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 29 15:24:05 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> It occurred to me that Section 2 'Partitioning' for Cross-LFS  may be misplaced or at
> the least, misleading. The section basically directs the user creates a
> partition for his system, but if we're cross-compiling on another
> machine first and going the boot route, those instructions aren't really
> correct or necessary.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on what we *should* be saying in Section 2?

 Part of the problem, IMHO, is that we are trying to cover all the bases
- cross-compiling can include at least the following:

 building from non-linux on the same machine (I seem to remember you
were doing that, and that there can be uncommon problems - I think you
had problems because something in the toolchain realised it wasn't on
linux)

 building the minimum on a completely different machine - problems
with *how* you transfer the system to the target machine, and typically
with how you install the bootloader - we seem to cover doing that at the
end of the initial build, so e.g. on ppc we have a placeholder for
yaboot at s7.19 - running yaboot will update the OF (prom) on the
machine you run it on, which is not only impossible on e.g. an x86 host,
it's also undesirable and pointless if you are building on a different
ppc machine

 building a different version (32:64 etc) on the same machine.

 To be clear, I think we *should* be trying to cover all the bases, but
it makes the focus difficult, and trying to separate the alternatives
into (more) alternative chapters is going to be hard to maintain.

 I also note that people *are* doing these things, and finding
solutions, so I hope that those with the knowledge can pass it on.