Fattening-up the boot system

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 9 16:55:52 PDT 2006

(Cc'ing to cross-lfs in case anybody still hasn't subscribed)

 As most of you know, I've been a firm believer in "chroot if you
can" for clfs.  I'm now at a position where I can't (on my G5
powermac 32-bit userspace I use linux32 to run agetty or gdm, so
that everything compiles as ppc - debian's 'linux64' symlinks don't
work for me, my system still has a 32-bit personality).  But, my
buildscripts all refer to packages and other scripts on /sources
which I mount over nfs.  Fortunately, I had an old multilib system
that I was able to chroot from, but I've no idea how I managed to
build that!

 So, is building tcp_wrappers, portmap, and nfs-utils before I boot
a possibility ?  And what about openss{l,h} - I guess the host's perl
will be good enough to configure it ?

 Any tips gratefully received, I wasted enough time last week
sorting out openssl-0.9.8a on ppc64, I'd hate to waste more time
unnecessarily!