How to know when to build 32bit libs?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Fri Oct 13 05:17:28 PDT 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 17:29, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:06:13AM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> > Several packages build 32bit libs first, then install the 64bit version,
> > but not all of them? So, how will I know when I need to do this when I
> > continue on with BLFS?
>
>  For blfs you will need to understand what you want to achieve.
> x86_64 is comparatively easy - 64-bit is faster, the files aren't a
> lot bigger, and it's easy to specify a box with adequate memory.  So,
> on that arch the only good reason to use 32-bit apps is because you
> need to (generally, this means binaries and perhaps codecs,
> occasionally going 32-bit saves some aggravation, e.g building
> lesstif as 64-bit, so I'm probably going to move to 32-bit xpdf on
> my future multilib builds, or even drop it entirely in favour of
> kpdf).

Maybe I'll stick with my original plan, then. Build a Pure64 system, and then
add 32bit libs to /lib32 as needed.

>  As Jim said, in clfs, we build all libraries in both sizes.  For
> the blfs applications, you need to work out what you intend to build
> as 32-bit, then trace back through the dependencies to see which
> libraries you will build twice.  For modular X (in other words _any_
> 32-bit app that links to an X lib) that probably means two of
> everything except fonts (you can symlink those for the other size).

So, just figure out what has libs -VS- just an app?

>  For the 64-bit libraries, you need to make sure that they respect
> your --libdir specification, or whatever other workaround you are
> using for the particular package.  Most people who build for multilib
> end up with some libraries in an inappropriate directory when they
> first try it, and occasionally when they try a new version of a
> package.  So, logging the installs is extremely important.

When I installed the nVidia driver, I had to create a sim-link from /lib to
lib64 before installing, then remove the sim-link

>  BTW, most people are now using the lists at lists.cross-lfs.org.

Thought it was very quiet 'round here (-; didn't know there was a new list.
I'll have a look and get it sorted. Thanks for the quick answers, though.

Cheers,

	John Gay