Boot loader for non Apple build

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 18 15:49:36 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:20:22PM -0600, Shane D. Johnson wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I have a quick question please.  I am building CLFS for a old RS600
> just to see if I can.  I have built LFS successfully on x86 a couple of
> times now.  I am trying to get through the PPC portion of the book but
> it is all written for Macs and I need to know if I need to build Yaboot,
> pmac-utils, hfs-utils, and so on.  Can I use Grub as the boot loader?  I
> know that the majority of systems using PPC are macs, but with the
> consoles using PPC chips and those who want to build CLFS for them,
> should Mac have it's own book or chapters since it has the partition issues?

 As to what you should use as a boot loader, you will need to tell
us!  I've spent some time lurking on the debian ppc list, enough
time to know that RS6000 covers a multitude of different boxes.

 If you don't know how it boots, your best bet is to find a distro
which will boot your particular model, then see how it does it.
Perhaps you may care to write a hint.  First, identify your machine,
then search to see who has run linux on it.

 As for grub - _possibly_, grub2 might work: it is still highly
experimental and probably not a good idea unless you are really keen
to suffer the pain of testing bootloaders.

 I don't grok your comment about mac partition issues, and I've not
seen any evidence of people wanting to build CLFS for consoles.  At
the moment, most available ppc systems are likely to be macs.  If
genesi's G5 materialises, that may change.

 Ken, who used to run LFS-5.1 on a ppc using uboot as the
bootloader, until that piece of sh?t overheated one time too many.