Possible host-system dependency in 6.21. Texinfo of SVN-20071030-MIPS ?

Eric Herman eric at mysql.com
Sun Nov 4 14:29:22 PST 2007

Hello,

First, let me thank everyone for the great project that CLFS is. I hope
someone may find this message useful. If not, I regret sending spam to
the list.

That said, I'm far from 100% sure, but I believe I may have stumbled
across a hidden host-system dependency in section "6.21 Texinfo-4.11" of
the SVN-20071030-MIPS book.

Prior to a cheesy work-around, I saw many error message like:
----
terminal.o: In function
`terminal_ring_bell':/home/clfs/mips-clfs/build/texinfo-4.11/info/terminal.c:348:
undefined reference to `tputs'
----

It seems that the build doesn't find the "termcap.h" we built earlier,
and instead seems to rely on one from the host system. Obviously, rather
than relying upon the host system's libncurses headers, perhaps
setting a couple of CFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS directives would be in order.

Unfortunately, I didn't pursue that avenue of thought very far. Instead
I tried a cheesy work-around: my host system is an x86 debian box, I was
able to get the "6.21 Texinfo-4.11" instructions to work unmodified
after doing:
"sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev"

If anyone is interested, the complete log of the failed build be found here:

http://mail.tiedyedfreaks.org/eric/mips-clfs-6.21.texinfo.badbuild.out.txt

And the version-check.sh output can be found here:

http://mail.tiedyedfreaks.org/eric/host-version-check.out.txt

If someone would like more information, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
  -Eric

--
Eric Herman, Software Developer