chroot: cannot run command `/tools/bin/env': No such file or directory

Lapohos Tibor tibor.lapohos at rogers.com
Tue Feb 2 09:56:12 PST 2010

Hello All,

First, I built a multilib system starting with a live CD, while workin on a USB flash memory stick.

Next, I booted from the shiny new system on the USB stick, and built a second multilib system on the hard disks. It is up and running with a bunch of other things from CBLFS.

Now, I would like to build a 64-bit only system while booting off and working with the OS on the hard disk, and I am geting stuck at chroot.

My mounts are:
/dev/md1 -> /
/dev/md0 -> /boot
/dev/md2 -> /home
/dev/md3p1 -> /scratch
/dev/md3p2 -> swap

I am building with

CLFS = /scratch/clfs64

where so far I got

/scratch/clfs64/tools
/scratch/clfs64/cross-tools
/scratch/clfs64/{dev,proc,sys}

and

/cross-tools -> /scratch/clfs64/cross-tools/
/tools -> /scratch/clfs64/tools/

The env and chroot binaries do exist and ought to be healthy in the /tools/bin folder.

After exiting the
su -clfs
environment and comming back to root>, the command that fails to change the root location is:

chroot "${CLFS}" /tools/bin/env -i \
        HOME=/root TERM="${TERM}" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
        /tools/bin/bash --login +h

I read whatever I could on the net, and it just doesn't make sense to me. So far the only unorthodox point I can think of is that ${CLFS} is not on a dedicated mount on its own. Can this really be it?

Furthermore, what I noticed is that, if I insert a test like:

##==CH6.3=====
echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
${CC} dummy.c
readelf -l a.out | grep ': /tools

I do not obtain /tools. Is this right? (I doubt it, but I cannot tell where the problem is.)

For the sakeness of completeness the PATH of the root is:
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/cuda/bin:/opt/firefox/bin

I am following SVN-20100103-x86_64-Pure64, but I am using more recent versions of the software therein. What I compiled successfully so far is:
#= Linux-headers 2.6.32
#= file 5.03
#= ncurses 5.7
#= gmp 4.3.2