[elinks-dev] Image manager

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Tue Mar 7 04:22:00 PST 2006

Nicola Girardi <nicola at gnu-pascal.org> wrote Sun, Mar 05, 2006:
> Elinks is my favourite browser and it'd be the only one if only it
> could handle images better. I don't mean it should became a
> graphical browser, not at all. I'll now expose my ideas on the
> topic.
>
> First of all, sometimes I find it difficult to find on a page the
> image I'm interested in --- and if I don't know in advance what
> images to expect, it's difficult to see what's interesting and
> what's not. This is because on most web pages there are a lot of
> useless decorative images or, even worse, dummy tiny images like
> "spacer.gif", "blank.gif" etc.
>
> Next, here's what my idea to improve browsing. As the subject
> suggests, I'm thinking of an ``image manager''. Pressing a special
> key, say X (not the `X' key but an unknown :-)), should pop up a
> list of the images in the page through which the user can manipulate
> the page aspect. Each entry should contain something like
> thing I'd like to be able to do is, for example, select some images
> to completely ignore (e.g. the "spacer.gif" images I mentioned
> above). Or select some or all of the images and start a viewer (zgv
> in my case) to view all of them (instead of looking for them one
> by one in the page and invoking zgv).
>
> (By the way, this idea could be extended to all media in a page, or
> to show all links etc.)
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or just crazy but ... I thought I'd
> just tell you.

I think it is a good idea. Recently a menu of form fields was added,
very simple, but basically for the same reasons you list. Generalising
this could live in a Document manager which we have had on the TODO list
for a long time. The problem with that is that we currently do not have
a good way to display 'temporary' managers. All the current managers are
static. For example the Bookmark manager is initialised on startup and
only deallocated when ELinks quits.

--
Jonas Fonseca