[elinks-users] [ANNOUNCE] elinks-0.5pre3 (Skyrider)

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Jul 23 11:03:12 PDT 2003

  Hello,

  so here goes the promised 0.5pre3, with an actual tarball and announcement on
the web and all the other official nonsenses ;-). It's not very interesting
feature-wise, what is going on are tons of internal changes, most notably usage
of struct uri and struct string, resulting in a lot of nice enhancements in the
code. It's mainly Jonas' work, but zas is joining with various cleanups and
link handling enhancements and so on. I'm doing various nonsenses and generally
being relatively idle. Aside of cleanups, of course, you get some set of
bugfixes, however I suspect more bugs will be actually itnroduced by this
release than fixed.  Of course please try to use it if you are brave enough and
like to help us with testing. If you won't use it and report us the bugs, it is
not going to get better by time.

  Translators please note that I actually did update-po before release this
time.

  This is not stable. It should crash to you, if it will, though, please tell
us so that we can go and frown at the code so long that it will start to fear
and reorder itself into a stabilized chunk. However, there is a lot of various
minor problems and weird things and strange behaviours and so on. A lot of them
is in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/), but some didn't arrive there
yet --- if you will encounter any new one, please file a bug.

  Translators! Translators! Translators!

  Please go and poke at the language files. Try to update them. Translation
updates are encouraged and patches welcomed, as well as new translations. Since
the amount of messages needing to be translated is huge, you do not need to do
it all at once, I will accept gradual patches updating just smaller portions of
the translations as well. And if you will work on it hard enough, you will
receive CVS write access ;-).

  So, the main changes (note that I probably missed a lot of bugfixes, I'm not
sure which bugfixes fix pre-0.5pre2 screwups and which don't) in elinks-0.5pre3
are:

  * Fixed the infamous problem with drawing out of tabs
  * Fixed problems with some URLs incorrectly having query parameters expanded
    as entities (ie. the google news bug)
  * Fixed broken iso-8859-5 charset support
  * Tons of assert()ion failures (read: crashes) fixed
  * If you're running non-debug build, assert()s have (again) some recovery
    paths so you've some small chance of surviving an assert()ion failure
  * Some mailto support code fixes
  * protocol.file.show_hidden_files fixes
  * Minor local directory index presentation issue sorted out
  * Fixed weird behaviour of some less used editing keys in textareas
  * Some leaks fixed

  * Proper support for HTML4 frame,border,rules <table> attributes
  * Greatly improved <link> HTML element support (see also
    document.html.link_display for finetuning of its presentation)
  * Global history is saved to disk periodically
    (document.history.global.write_interval, once per 5 minutes by default)

  * Tons of blabla cleanups all over the map
  * Wide (struct uri) usage
  * Introduced (struct string) usage
  * Build process speedup (ssl includes aren't included in each one .c file)
  * src/README looks even nicer ;-)))

  * Italian translation updates
  * French translation updates

  Please see ChangeLog for full list of changes and credits (together with
AUTHORS).

  The ELinks itself may be now found at http://elinks.or.cz/.

  BTW, I've generated some nice small commits table, so if you wonder about
who's doing most of the stuff now...

-- ELinks commit statistics from Jun 1:
Total commits: 1340
pasky   Petr Baudis     426 commits      31.8%
zas     Laurent Monin   332 commits      24.8%
fonseca Jonas Fonseca   545 commits      40.7%
miciah  Miciah Dashiel   37 commits       2.7%
fis     Jan Sembera       0 commits       0.0%

  To boost my stats a little... ;-)

-- ELinks commit statistics from 0.5pre0 [including]:
Total commits: 2435
pasky   Petr Baudis    1067 commits      43.8%
zas     Laurent Monin   707 commits      29.0%
fonseca Jonas Fonseca   610 commits      25.1%
miciah  Miciah Dashiel   51 commits       2.1%
fis     Jan Sembera       0 commits       0.0%

  (of course that's unfair to fonseca and miciah because they got cvs write
  access only a while before Jun 1)

PS: Again, you're welcomed to join #elinks at irc.freenode.net, if you want to
see ELinks developers alive! :)

PPS: If you don't know yet, we've a bugzilla at http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/.
See mailing list archives if you have problems reaching it, please.

  Happy summer hacking,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.