[elinks-users] Prevent elinks from creating ~/.elinks in -dump mode?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at iskon.hr
Fri Jul 25 03:58:09 PDT 2003

When run for the first time, elinks will try to create a configuration
directory ~/.elinks.  In some cases, this is very undesirable.  For
example, I am trying to utilize elinks from a script that accepts HTML
input and uses `elinks -dump' to autogenerate the plain text counterpart
of the received HTML.  The script is run from a CGI, and elinks
complains that it cannot determine the user's home directory.

The CGI's are run as a "www" or "apache" user, and the HOME variable is
not set, nor should it be.  Even if I set the HOME variable to a bogus
value, elinks complains about not being able to write there and aborts.
  I tried various flags from the documentation, such as `-anonymous 1',
but to no avail.  Have I missed something?

If this cannot be controlled, I would really like `elinks -dump' to
default to not creating files in the user's home directory.  It should
simply do the dumping with all the default settings (which I like just
fine) and quit.  Of course, I have no problems with elinks creating
config files in interactive mode.

Any help is appreciated.