[elinks-users] [ANNOUNCE] elinks-0.5pre4 (Skyrider)

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat Jul 26 15:10:14 PDT 2003

  Hello,

  here is still hot 0.5pre4. Optimizations, and some more optimizations. Our
major feature of the week is scheme scripting support (through Guile) and some
other scripting changes (kuser's, mostly), otherwise we are working on some
terminal cleanups (initiated by the xeli author, Jonas got addicted it seems),
plus few details are happenning alongside. And some bugfixes and some more
internal changes. Please sync yourself. And for the reasons below, please
please move on to nightly tarballs or better the live CVS tree if you plan to
do any development, otherwise it might be difficult to integrate your changes.

  If you started to worry about speed of releases coming out, don't. I *hope*
this is yet another release which is going to last for quite a long time, as
I'm going out to vacancies again (now for longer time, although I should be
able to check mail at least once per week ;) and especially because I really
want to focus on other things *exclusively* (but I'll be still discussing stuff
at will, it's just very unlikely that I'll review or commit myself anything).

  This is not stable. It should crash to you, if it will, though, please tell
us so that we can go and frown at the code so long that it will start to fear
and reorder itself into a stabilized chunk. However, there is a lot of various
minor problems and weird things and strange behaviours and so on. A lot of them
is in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/ - nameserver should get it right
finally!), but some didn't arrive there yet --- if you will encounter any new
one, please file a bug.

  Translators! Translators! Translators!

  Please go and poke at the language files. Try to update them. Translation
updates are encouraged and patches welcomed, as well as new translations. Since
the amount of messages needing to be translated is huge, you do not need to do
it all at once, I will accept gradual patches updating just smaller portions of
the translations as well. And if you will work on it hard enough, you will
receive CVS write access ;-).

  So, the main changes in elinks-0.5pre4 are:

  * Fixed garbage sometimes dropped into the config file
  * Fixed segfault when viewing some pages (in particular internal HTTP error
    page)
  * Fixed NULL-string comparsion segfaults
  * Fixed &nbsp &nbsp interpretation
  * Fixed buggy blacklisting (caused repeated retrying on ie. atrey)

  * Scripting build changes (libtool introduction and so on)
  * Guile support (scheme scripting)

  * Optimizations, speedups, cleanups, tidyups, fuckups
  * Some more HTML link element handling improvements

  * Polish translation updates
  * Czech translation updates (har!)

  Please see ChangeLog for full list of changes and credits (together with
AUTHORS).

  The ELinks itself may be now found at http://elinks.or.cz/.

  BTW, I've generated some nice small commits table, so if you wonder about
who's doing most of the stuff now...

-- ELinks commit statistics from 0.5pre3 (exclusive):
Total commits: 118
pasky   Petr Baudis      46 commits      38.9%
zas     Laurent Monin    25 commits      21.2%
fonseca Jonas Fonseca    35 commits      29.7%
miciah  Miciah Dashiel   12 commits      10.2%
fis     Jan Sembera       0 commits       0.0%

PS: Again, you're welcomed to join #elinks at irc.freenode.net, if you want to
see ELinks developers alive! :)

PPS: If you don't know yet, we've a bugzilla at http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/.

  Happy summer hacking,