[elinks-users] Re: elinks bugs and RFIs

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Oct 1 09:58:45 PDT 2003

Dear diary, on Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:29:09AM CEST, I got a letter,
where Jack Pavlovsky <man at oceanography.ru> told me, that...
> Hello

Hello,

> I've assorted several bugreports and RFIs for elinks.
> They're attached in the text file.

thanks. Do you think you could please push them to the ELinks BugZilla?
(http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/)

> apart from "block cursor" in terminal options, should have "hide cursor" option
> (using escape codes \033[?25l to hide it and \033[?25h to show it)

Hmm. Jonas?

> os shell should try to run login shell (e.g. sh --login)

Sounds like fine idea.

> would like some way to quickly select current page's encoding from
>   - whole list of available encodings
>   - options-configured list of encodings (e.g., i'd set up win1251 and koi8-r,
> it would be enough for me)

Sounds like fine idea. We need something like that.

>   - or even better, hierarchical encoding menu (like in mozilla), with
> options-configured list (see above) in one of the folders

This is one of the things I *hate* in Mozilla ;-).

> also some sort of encoding auto-detection would be nice, at least should get
> encoding info from meta tags (e.g., "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html;" charset="koi8-r">")

Interesting, I've never saw such a http-equiv meta, and it looks
incorrect to me. Usually you do content="text/html; charset=koi8-r". And
that should work fine, IMO.

> options manager (and maybe other windows) should be larger / resized with respect to terminal size, '
>   or at least configurable (in 100x37 framebuffer console options manager is too small - there's
>   plenty of free space available around it, and it doesn't fit much options inside)

It is so in 0.5pre, I think, isn't it?

> there are some troubles compiling with libbz2:
>
> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o elinks  main.o cookies/libcookies.a  document/html/libhtml.a  document/libdocument.a  intl/libintl.a  lowlevel/liblowlevel.a  lua/liblua.a  osdep/libosdep.a  protocol/libprotocol.a  protocol/http/libhttp.a  ssl/libssl.a  bookmarks/libbookmarks.a  globhist/libglobhist.a  config/libconfig.a  dialogs/libdialogs.a  bfu/libbfu.a  util/libutil.a -lX11 -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -llua -llualib -lm -ldl -lexpat -lz -lgpm
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2/../../../liblualib.so: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
> document/libdocument.a(download.o): In function `get_temp_name':
> /root/elinks-0.4.2/src/document/download.c:824: the use of `tempnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
> util/libutil.a(encoding.o): In function `bzip2_open':
> /root/elinks-0.4.2/src/util/encoding.c:157: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzReadOpen'
> util/libutil.a(encoding.o): In function `bzip2_read':
> /root/elinks-0.4.2/src/util/encoding.c:177: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzRead'
> util/libutil.a(encoding.o): In function `bzip2_close':
> /root/elinks-0.4.2/src/util/encoding.c:193: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzReadClose'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> i've got libbz2.so all right, and it has these symbols, but the gcc command line doesn't seem to have -lbz2,
>   so i had to add it manually - i think this i a bug in your configure.ac / Makefile.am

Interesting. It works just fine here. Could you please show us your
config.log? You are using the stock tarball or did you run autoconf on
your own?

> before trying to reach some host, maybe try to find url using file scheme (in current directory)
>   e.g., when using local-mirrored copies of sites, i frequently run elinks www.something.org/index.html
>   and it doesn't find the file in this directory

Yes that would be nice. It will be probably easier after full
eventization, I think.

> also, for browsing local stuff, args shouldn't be stripped (e.g., wget saves index.php?id=0 to file
>   index.php?id=0 and rewrites url in the file links was found in to this value; when browsing using
>   file scheme, this name should be accessed)

Makes sense.

> my text color is too bright - i use xterm -fg gray, and in xterm the text is gray
>   but gray in elinks is much brighter than that (though a little less bright as white)
>   why? (i tried turning off option dark text on black background, no dice)

Huh. Looks rather like some xterm weirdness. We're just using lightgray
ANSI color code. Any ideas, anyone? Could you show us a screenshot,
please?

> xterm window title isn't converted to appropriate encoding (e.g.,
>   text is converted from page's koi8-r to terminal's utf-8, but xterm title
>   is not, and yes, my windowmanager display utf-8 russian ok otherwise)

Oh well :-).

Thanks,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis