[elinks-users] Newbie Needs Copy and Paste Help Please

Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters miciah at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 11 06:18:42 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:27:05PM -0700, Jim Tucker wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2005 8:20 PM, Faux_Pseudo <faux_pseudo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The last one.  If you can think of any way to improve on that it would
> > be interesting to hear it but I think that for most people using
> > elinks (and every other console app they use) in one screen session to
> > handle the c&p from one app to another works just fine.  I have been
> > using screen for so long that I didn't even learn that you could copy
> > and paste with a mouse in elinks until recently and I still seldom do
> > it since screen works so nicely for my needs.
>
> You're right.  GNU screen works pretty well for that.  The only
> quibble I have is that it can take quite a few keystrokes to navigate
> the GNU Screen cursor to the text that you want to copy, anchor the
> selection, navigate to the end of the selection, etc.
>
> Compare that to the selection and copying processes if you use a
> native app's  editing functions.  Typically "Ctrl-A" in a Windows app,
> for example, will select all of the text in the current field and
> "Ctrl-C" will copy it.
>
> It's a quibble, I know, but with something as basic as copy and paste,
> every keystroke saved can multiply quickly and result in improved
> efficiency over time.  I was hoping to find something that slick and
> efficient for elinks.

Bind keys to copy-clipboard or cut-clipboard in the main and edit maps.
These will copy the selected link's href or the current text field's
contents into Screen's . register (which is the one used if you specify
no other). I should know; I wrote the code. If you have any problem with
it, please report it.

--
Miciah Masters <miciah at myrealbox.com> / <mdm0304 at mail.ecu.edu>