[elinks-users] Re: external editor + tor/privoxy

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Jan 5 16:34:25 PST 2005

Dear diary, on Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 07:57:29PM CET, I got a letter,
where Neon Absentius <absent at sdf.lonestar.org> told me, that...
> Hello

Hello,

> I am using (e)links for sometime now and I am really happy with
> it. Recently I updated my Debian distribution to testing and I was
> really impressed with all these new features. Way cool!
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1) The first one is about the external editor, the one that starts
>    with the command ^T. I have set the $EDITOR variable to emacsclient
>    and according to the man page elinks should respect that. However
>    every time I hit ^T I am at VI. Is this my problem (I mean my
>    configuration's problem) or elinks? Any suggestions?

that's weird - are you sure you didn't make a typo or anything like
that? Did you restart ELinks after changing the $EDITOR variable?
Completely? (No stale running ELinks instances somewhere in the
background.)

> 2) How can I set elinks to work with a proxy/annonymizer? I am
>    interested in the Tor/privoxy combination. According to their
>    webpage to make links aware of the proxy you have to set the
>    variable "http_proxy" to 127.0.0.1:8118. I tried it with links
>    and it worked. I was not able to do it with elinks thoough.
>    Any ideas?

Open up the options manager, venture to Protocols :: HTTP :: Proxy
settings and have fun (the host option should do it).

ELinks respects the $HTTP_PROXY environment variable too, FWIW.

> I also have a suggestion/request of a feature: its about the MIME
> support, it would be nice if there was one more option on the dialog
> box, the option to specify *on the fly* which application one wants to
> open the file. Now you have to download the file first and then leave
> elinks to get to a command line to open the file. Not *very*
> inconvenient but bothersome nevertheless. This, for example, would be
> very useflull for me with MSword documents; I usually open them with
> antiword, but since I view documents with several languages and
> encodings I cannot set the command in advance which encoding antiword
> should use. I have to decide on a per file basis.

Interesting --- this is actually the first time we receive this
suggestion, but I can imagine it could be useful. Well, patches welcome
;-). Otherwise, could you please file it in our Bugzilla?
(http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/)

> Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your input,

--