[elinks-users] How do I enable the pretty line graphics and colors under gnu/screen [SOLVED]

Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters miciah at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 5 20:30:39 PST 2005

On 20050106 01:44:51, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:
[...]
> Dear diary, on Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:44:05AM CET, I got a letter,
> where cga <cga2001 at softhome.net> told me, that...
[...]
> > Made my day.. night rather.. I first tried it on an older RedHat 7.2
> > system where
> > I happen to run elinks version 0.9.2 and that took care of most of the
> > problem.
> > There were still a few ugly rectangles and the odd line of Ä's but
> > framed tables
> > were quite readable.
> >
> > I rebooted into Debian sarge and found that with the new 4.x version of
> > einks
> > - or is it some subtle difference in console setups between RH and
> > Debian - the
> > problem is entirely fixed. All documents I have checked display line
> > drawings
> > perfecty. Not to mention that (OT) the various romance languages that I use
> > and german all displayed faultlessly.  After that (more OT) seeing that
> > elinks
> > does everything I needed I spent the entire night reviewing its incredibly
> > rich set of customizable options - have you ever tried changing keyboard
> > shortcuts in mozilla/netscape? :-) .. By seven in the morning I was thinking
> > of sending a personal thank-you email to the developers..!
>
> That Debian difference means only that the Debian ELinks packagers took
> more care to preconfigure ELinks to work nice on the Debian system. (But
> I assume you compiled own ELinks on that RH7.2 anyway.) I have this
> strange feeling that you are still actually missing the point ;-) - you
> can change how ELinks behaves in any terminal in the Terminal options.
> It is then associated with your current $TERM and if you save the
> options and then start ELinks later from that terminal, it will use
> those terminal options.

Actually, this might be another problem. I and other people have seen
a problem with GNU Screen where bits of line-art on the screen would
occasionally, and entirely at random, be drawn with garbage characters.
This happened with ELinks, CenterICQ, and other programs.  One or more
^Ls would correct the problem. I've not seen this problem recently,
so it must be one of those inexplicable bugs that magically disappear
on their own--presumably a bug in either GNU Screen or ncurses.

[...]

--
Miciah Masters <miciah at myrealbox.com> / <mdm0304 at mail.ecu.edu>