[elinks-users] Re: ELinks-0.10.5

Jon Shapcott eden at xibalba.demon.co.uk
Thu May 5 06:01:53 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 03:52:03AM +0400, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:42:25AM +0200, Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> > > Nope, I can't see any changes in configure.in and configure.
> > I hope I got it right this time. New tarball available.
>
> Thanks, it works fine for me now.
> configure message is still screwed, but this is really a very minor issue.
>
> checking for LUA 5 or better... checking for Ruby... no

I get the same thing. I'm using Lua 5.0.2 on Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) with
dynamic library loading.

I've noticed that HAVE_PCALL is pretty much equivalent to HAVE_LUA5 in the
lua scripting module. The header file "core.h" even defines a macro for the
lua_open() function when it applies. This is one of the things tested for to
define HAVE_LUA5. HAVE_LAUXLIB_H is pretty useless since you always need
"lauxlib.h" for the lua_ref() and lua_getref() and lua_unref() prototypes.
Well, okay, the compiler warns you about implicit declarations, and then
compiles anyway if you hide "lauxlib.h".

There are a few bugs as far as lua 5 goes too. The most serious is the
standard table functions are not available. I've figured various ways of
tidying up the lua scripting module to make it right for lua 5, and improve
lua error messages, but it's all pretty radical. Is anyone interested in a
version that's been ripped to pieces and put back together again?

I have fascist sysadmin who demands I keep specially compiled libraries
sowehere under my home directory, and dick about with LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This
means I've had to modify the configure file to look them up under
${exec_prefix} if the standard locations fail. It might be a good idea to do
this for most library lookups. The only libraries I'm using in elinks are
the lua ones and openssl, so those are only lookups I've modified.

--
Jon Shapcott <eden at xibalba.demon.co.uk>
"This is the Space Age, and we are Here To Go" - William S. Burroughs