[elinks-users] garbled error messages

Jon Shapcott eden at xibalba.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 05:50:24 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 01:51:24AM +0200, Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> Jon Shapcott <eden at xibalba.demon.co.uk> wrote Fri, May 06, 2005:
> > During my current hacking, I've had some trouble with the alert_lua_error
> > function. Instead of displaying the desired message, it prints some garbled
> > text instead. I've checked that I'm not feeding it broken messages by
> > printing them to stderr as well, and checking that output. Is this a known
> > problem? If so, is there any known way of kicking it into proper behaviour?
>
> It would be great if you could tell which ELinks version you are using
> since there is considerable difference between the Lua code in 0.10 and
> 0.11 and there recently was a proposed fix for Lua alerting in 0.11.
> Thanks.

Sorry for the second response. I'm hacking elinks-0.10.5. I've tracked the
text for alert_lua_error through open_box and msg_box in src/bfu/msg_box.c,
and add_dlg_text in src/bfu/text.c. It doesn't get garbled in any of those
places, so I must be stamped on somewhere between there and being displayed.
As I was doing this, every now and then the leading part of the string would
be be mangled,, but the trailing part of the text would be shown normally.

I've looked through the CVS at lua scripting, and found a distinct lack of
considerable difference. There are a couple of new files, and some minor
shifting between the files, but everything else looks almost identical. The
alert_lua_error functions in particular are absolutely identical.

It looks like this sort of work is best done on the unstable version. Is the
unstable version updated daily on the download page? Is this discussion best
moved to elinks-dev rather than elinks-user?

--
Jon Shapcott <eden at xibalba.demon.co.uk>
"This is the Space Age, and we are Here To Go" - William S. Burroughs