[elinks-users] Problems trying to compile lua40 support

Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters miciah at myrealbox.com
Fri May 6 10:24:50 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:00:41PM +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've updated recently

To what? 0.10.* and earlier support Lua 4; HEAD and later
support only Lua 5.

>                       and have problems trying to compile lua40
> support on a Debian testing system. To find lua headers I need to
> export CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/lua40. This allows the compiler to
> find the headers, but the C code doesn't compile:
>
> configure:15992: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include/lua40 -Wall     -rdynamic conftest.c -llua -llualib -lm -ldl  -lgpm -lz -lbz2 -lexpat >&5
> conftest.c: In function `main':
> conftest.c:133: error: too few arguments to function `lua_open'
> conftest.c:137: warning: implicit declaration of function `lua_tablibopen'
> conftest.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function `lua_pushboolean'
>
> Using Debian lua packages 4.0-13:
>
>  [gradha at noir:0] [/usr/include/lua40]$ rgrep lua_open *
>  lua.h:LUA_API lua_State *lua_open (int stacksize);
>
> A grep for the other functions shows they are not included in the
> version of lua I have.  Do I need a manually installed "bleeding
> edge" lua 4.0 lib?

You shouldn't. Somebody keeps breaking configure; that is more Jonas'
area of expertise. If Lua 4 is broken in 0.10, we must whine at him.

> I recently read there are conflicts between lua 4 and 5. If so,
> should I use 5.0 and migrate all my hooks to the new lua? Are the
> changes "radical" or is it just minor modifications?

Migrate to Lua 5 if you are using HEAD. There are a lot of little
details. Here are the changes made to HEAD for Lua 5 support -- some
might not apply cleanly because there were other changes made between,
but I think that these should be all of them:

http://cvsweb.elinks.or.cz/cvsweb.cgi/elinks/contrib/lua/hooks.lua.in.diff?r1=1.27;r2=1.33
http://cvsweb.elinks.or.cz/cvsweb.cgi/elinks/contrib/lua/hooks.lua.in.diff?r1=1.34;r2=1.35
http://cvsweb.elinks.or.cz/cvsweb.cgi/elinks/contrib/lua/hooks.lua.in.diff?r1=1.36;r2=1.37
http://cvsweb.elinks.or.cz/cvsweb.cgi/elinks/contrib/lua/hooks.lua.in.diff?r1=1.63;r2=1.66
http://cvsweb.elinks.or.cz/cvsweb.cgi/elinks/contrib/lua/hooks.lua.in.diff?r1=1.68;r2=1.70

The hooks.lua in HEAD has some other neat stuff and a major redesign.
If it isn't too much trouble, you probably should just use it instead
of the old.

--
Miciah Masters <miciah at myrealbox.com> / <mdm0304 at mail.ecu.edu>