[elinks-users] elinks 0.10.5 slow at resolving hostnames on Cygwin-X

Andrew Preater preater+gmane at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:02:49 PDT 2005

* Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters <miciah at myrealbox.com> [2005-09-05 01:58]:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:27:06AM +0100, Andrew Preater wrote:
>> I have a problem with elinks under Cygwin-X on Win2000 SP4.  I
>> didn't find anything about it on the list on in the bugzilla,
>> so here I am. :)
>>
>> When I load a url, elinks spends a long time looking up the
>> hostname of the server: it will spend four or five seconds
>> with the message 'Looking up host' in the status bar.
>
> This is reported as bug 691, 'Host lookup is slow', which
> probably should have its summary improved. There is a proposed
> work-around.

Hi,

Yes - I tried searching the bugzilla, but it didn't come up with
anything.  I was starting to think there *were* no bugs!

> I see the I need to update it, and I will do so promptly.
> Please try the work-around and report whether it works along
> with information on your software configuration.

I've tried it, and it worked perfectly.  No hang when loading a
url (any protocol).  I pulled elinks from cvs, and made sure I
had revision 1.126 of dns.c.

elinks now reports itself as:

$ elinks -version
ELinks 0.11.CVS (built on Sep  5 2005 03:12:55)

Features:
Standard, No Backtrace, gzip, bzip2, Periodic Saving, Timer,
Cascading Style Sheets, Protocol (File, FTP, Gopher, HTTP, URI
rewrite, User protocols), SSL (OpenSSL), MIME (Option system,
Mailcap, Mimetypes files), LED indicators, Bookmarks, Cookies,
Form History, Global History, Goto URL History, Search History

I configured with ./configure --enable-gopher, no other options.
I couldn't resist gopher support. :)

Some more system info:

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 octave 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) 2005-07-02 20:30 i686
unknown unknown Cygwin

gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

I know the INSTALL file warns against newer versions of autoconf
and automake, but they work fine here.  Thank you for your fast
reply and for letting me know about this work-around.

Cheers,

Andrew Preater