[elinks-users] Domain-based cookie permissions?

Witold Filipczyk witekfl at poczta.onet.pl
Sat Aug 12 00:59:21 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:59:29AM +0200, Anthony Chaumas-Pellet wrote:
> Hello,
Hello

> I've been enjoying ELinks for some weeks now - 0.11 from Debian, and
> now 0.12 checked out from GIT (yay for UTF-8 support! Very sturdy now,
> in my experience). My one problem is with cooking up cookies the way I
> like them.
>
> The setting I currently use for cookie permissions is 1, aka "prompt
> user at all times". While this setting keeps unwanted cookies out, it
> can get annoying on some sites. My current record is of fourteen
> cookie prompts in a row, a little too much for my tastes; bulletin
> boards also seem to update cookies very frequently, thereby opening up
> more prompts.
>
> I have tried setting the cookies I want, and then setting the cookies
> permissions to 0, with no further cookie accepted. This trick does
> work on some websites requiring cookies, but fails on the phpBB site I
> use, and isn't particularly elegant. So, I would like to handle
> cookies on a per-domain basis, with a few domains going into the white
> list, and all other cookies getting rejected (Konqueror does something
> like that).
>
> Does anybody have pointers on how to best achieve domain-based cookie
> permissions ? There does not seem to be any such function through
> browser scripting, and I haven't done much more than glimpse at the
> source code yet (not that I'm much good at C)
My suggestion is:
Add the scripting hook accept_cookie(name, value, domain)
for cookies approval with return value one of:
- accept (0)
- reject (1)
- ask (2)
- default (3) /* the same as ELinks without the hook */

Because running this hook for every cookie may causing slowdown it would
be triggered only when cookies.accept.policy == 3.
Then it will be up to the user to write the script for accepting
cookies.

What do you think?
--
Witek