[elinks-users] elinks with windows cygwin and javascript

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Tue Aug 15 10:39:33 PDT 2006

[ I send this on behalf of the original poster --jonas ]

finally I succeeded in compiling SpiderMonkey under cygwin and windows 2000
see below:

I wanted to do a follow up in gmane.comp.web.elinks.user on my thread
"elinks with windows cygwin and javascript"
but the system did not let me for some reasons !?

So I send my follow up directly to you.
Maybe you can post it in the newsgroup.
Thanx
Hoffi

How to compile SpiderMonkey js-1.5.tar.gz
under Windows 2000 with Cygwin

I don't think I could repeat what I exactly did.
But here are some hints.

- I followed the install instructions for SpiderMonkey
  on the elinks homepage
- Before compiling in js/src/config I replaced the WINNTX.X.mk file
  with the Linux_All.mk of the same directory
- Then I replaced some lines in js/src/config.mk
I replaced:
ifeq ($(OS_ARCH), WINNT)
  SEP        = ;
else
  SEP        = :
endif

with:
  SEP        = :

- And I replaced some lines in js/src/Makefile.ref
I replaced:
ifdef USE_MSVC
OTHER_LIBS += fdlibm/$(OBJDIR)/fdlibm.lib
else
OTHER_LIBS += -Lfdlibm/$(OBJDIR) -lfdm
endif

with:
ifdef USE_MSVC
OTHER_LIBS += fdlibm/$(OBJDIR)/fdlibm.lib
else
OTHER_LIBS += -Lfdlibm/$(OBJDIR) -lfdm -lc -lcygwin
endif

and I replaced:
# Prevent floating point errors caused by VC++ optimizations
ifeq ($(OS_ARCH),WINNT)
CFLAGS += /Op
endif # WINNT

with:
# Prevent floating point errors caused by VC++ optimizations
#ifeq ($(OS_ARCH),WINNT)
#CFLAGS += /Op
#endif # WINNT

Then while compiling it somewhere stops with the error saying
that the linker cannot find WINNT5.1_OPT.OBJ/jsmathtemp.o
so I just copied the jsmath.o from the parent directory
and renamed it:

cp jsmath.o WINNT5.1_OPT.OBJ/jsmathtemp.o

then rerun make
and everything went fine.

make install didn't work either,
so I copied the results of js/src/dist
by hand to their corresponding destinations in /usr/local

I don't know if the resulting js-lib and -exe is working correctly,
but maybe it helps someone with more wisdom to sort things out :)

that's all folks

greetings
HoffiMuc