[elinks-users] elinks and 64-bit SPARC builds

Zas zas at norz.org
Tue Jan 10 00:35:47 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:03:40AM -0700, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> I've now completed several attempts at building a 64-bit version of
> elinks on Sun Solaris 10 SPARC systems.  I tried these versions:
>
> 	elinks-0.10.6	elinks-0.11rc0	elinks-0.11.0
> 	elinks-current-0.11-20060109	elinks-current-0.12-20060109
>
> Compilations were with cc and c99, and all failed.  Most of the
> failures look like this:
>
> 	      [CC]   src/osdep/getifaddrs.o
> 	"getifaddrs.c", line 97: incomplete struct/union/enum ifconf: ifconf
> 	"getifaddrs.c", line 118: undefined struct/union member: ifc_len
> 	"getifaddrs.c", line 119: undefined struct/union member: ifc_buf

Looks like a system header file is not included.
It would be interesting to dig that even more.

> It is distinctly unhelpful that the elinks Makefile conceals the
> compiler command line.  This is a bad idea, and should be eliminated.

Use make -e V=1 to display compilation commands.

> I don't plan to pursue fixes, since it seems to me to be of doubtful
> utility to have a 64-bit version of any Web browser.  No realistic Web
> site will have pages that exceed 2GB in size, apart from ISO images
> for CDs and DVDs, which most browsers can already save successfully,
> and if they cannot, GNU wget can.
>
> In a recent timing experiment, I used wget to copy a 4GB DVD image
> between local and remote systems.  Between local systems, the
> transfers took between 2 and 5 minutes.  Between the University of
> Utah and the University of Minnesota, 16 hops apart according to
> traceroute, the transfer took about 3 hours.

Imho, it would be interesting to have ELinks fully tested on 64-bits
platforms, from a portability point of view. There is no doubt about
needed fixes to make it compile and run smoothly on such platforms.

Thanks,

--

Zas