[elinks-users] Can't compile eLinks Debian (PowerMac; Kernel 2.4.22)

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Mon Jan 30 21:21:32 PST 2006

Phillip Pi <ant at zimage.com> wrote Mon, Jan 30, 2006:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:02:52AM +0100, Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> > Phillip Pi <ant at zimage.com> wrote Sun, Jan 29, 2006:
> > > Hello, I just downloaded and tried to compile eLinks v0.11.1 but make failed:
> >
> > Hello, thanks for reporting this.
> >
> > First a little general note that someone else will hopefully see.  You
> > _don't_ have to subscribe to post. I know this is a showstopper for some
> > (not for you Phillip but for other). If you just send a message to the
> > list it will go through our human filter and hopefully show up after a
> > day or so depending on when messages from non-subscribers are checked.
>
> Ahh, I didn't know that. I always thought mailing lists required a subscription and valdiation.
>
> > I've added a note about this on the community page.
>
> Good! I did not even recall seeing one. So, does the replies go back to my e-mail address?

No, you have to request that you be CC'ed on replies.

> > > $ uname -a
> > > Linux dustball 2.4.22-pmac-benh-dm-evms_sorta-1 #4 Mon Oct 20 21:58:29 PDT 2003 ppc
> > > GNU/Linux
> >
> > Is this really Debian? I am using (the Debian-based) Ubuntu and do not
> > have this problem.
>
> Yes, but on a PowerMac. That's the KEY thing. Not the latest or common platform as you can see.

But it looks like you have off_t the same place I do.

> > Could you dig out in what file the off_t type it is found on your
> > system running something like this:
> >
> > 	find /usr/include/sys -name '*.h' | xargs grep off_t | grep typedef
>
> $  find /usr/include/sys -name '*.h' | xargs grep off_t grep typedef
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:typedef __loff_t loff_t;
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:typedef __off_t off_t;
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:typedef __off64_t off_t;
> /usr/include/sys/stat.h:typedef __off_t off_t;
> /usr/include/sys/stat.h:typedef __off64_t off_t;
> /usr/include/sys/mman.h:typedef __off_t off_t;
> /usr/include/sys/mman.h:typedef __off64_t off_t;

I must say, I do not have any idea what is wrong, but if you have time
to debug here are a few things to try out:

 - Try to run: ./configure --disable-largefile; make

 - Try to move the line

#include "elinks.h"

   above the line

#include <ctype.h>

   So the system headers cannot control what is included by elinks.h.

 - Along the same line as the above, try to add the lines:

#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

   between '#include "config.h"' and '#include <ctype.h>' in
   src/document/html/renderer.c.

   src/document/html/frames.c includes cache/cache.h as it's first
   ELinks header file and compiles ok. Could it be that one of the
   system header files it includes does some magic?

> > maybe removing '/sys' and '| grep typedef' if no results are found.
>
> Did not try unless you want me to do so. :)

That's not necessary.