[elinks-users] elinks charsets

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Mon May 8 01:07:58 PDT 2006

cga2000 <cga2000 at optonline.net> wrote Sat, May 06, 2006:
> I'm running elinks 0.11.1 on a UTF-8 enabled xterm (uxterm) and I cannot
> see any charset option (Setup -> Character Set) that remotely looks like
> UTF-8.
>
> The only thing I have seen that would indicate some form of unicode
> support in elinks is an option that I found under Setup -> Terminal
> Options -> UTF-8 I/O. I checked this option and the only difference was
> that after setting this option I am able to get the double-line
> box-drawing characters (double lines if I also check "linux or OS/2
> frames" under the same "Terminal Options" so I am unsure what this
> option actually does.
>
> What I noticed is that whether this option is set or not does not seem
> to affect the rendering of languages with a different charset: sites in
> some West European languages such as German or Spanish or French
> sometimes are rendered correctly regardless of the setting of this
> option (main pages of their respective Yahoo! pages for instance..) and
> sometimes not so correctly - for some strange reason the accented vowels
> are rendered correctly on http://es.yahoo.com but are replaced by
> asterisks on http://es.sports.yahoo.com. I also saw some pages in French
> where some characters are replaced by small squares and the 'c' with a
> cedilla is rendered by a 'c' followed by a comma.
>
> On the other hand some languages such as Portuguese are never rendered
> correctly: see the home page of Yahoo! Brazil for instance.
>
> So I was wondering if there are settings that I could enter in the
> elinks.conf (or other..) configuration file, if something is broken in
> my elinks setup, or if internationalization is still a work in progress
> with elinks and whether unicode settings are planned in future releases.

UTF-8 support in the main branch is very limited/non-existing, however
Pavol Babincak is working on better UTF-8. If you want to try it you
need to have cogito installed and clone

	http://elinks.cz/elinks.git#utf8

It has UTF-8 charset option and many improvements to various dialogs.
I've been using it in gnome-terminal and am quite impressed. There are
some unresolved issues so beware.