[elinks-users] elinks charsets

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Mon May 8 18:12:58 PDT 2006

Thus spake Jonas Fonseca on Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:07:58AM +0200 or
thereabouts: <fonseca at diku.dk> [2006-05-08 08:10]:
> cga2000 <cga2000 at optonline.net> wrote Sat, May 06, 2006:
> > I'm running elinks 0.11.1 on a UTF-8 enabled xterm (uxterm) and I
> > cannot see any charset option (Setup -> Character Set) that remotely
> > looks like UTF-8.
> >
> > The only thing I have seen that would indicate some form of unicode
> > support in elinks is an option that I found under Setup -> Terminal
> > Options -> UTF-8 I/O. I checked this option and the only difference
> > was that after setting this option I am able to get the double-line
> > box-drawing characters (double lines if I also check "linux or OS/2
> > frames" under the same "Terminal Options" so I am unsure what this
> > option actually does.
> >
> > What I noticed is that whether this option is set or not does not
> > seem to affect the rendering of languages with a different charset:
> > sites in some West European languages such as German or Spanish or
> > French sometimes are rendered correctly regardless of the setting of
> > this option (main pages of their respective Yahoo! pages for
> > instance..) and sometimes not so correctly - for some strange reason
> > the accented vowels are rendered correctly on http://es.yahoo.com
> > but are replaced by asterisks on http://es.sports.yahoo.com. I also
> > saw some pages in French where some characters are replaced by small
> > squares and the 'c' with a cedilla is rendered by a 'c' followed by
> > a comma.
> >
> > On the other hand some languages such as Portuguese are never
> > rendered correctly: see the home page of Yahoo! Brazil for instance.
> >
> > So I was wondering if there are settings that I could enter in the
> > elinks.conf (or other..) configuration file, if something is broken
> > in my elinks setup, or if internationalization is still a work in
> > progress with elinks and whether unicode settings are planned in
> > future releases.
>
> UTF-8 support in the main branch is very limited/non-existing, however
> Pavol Babincak is working on better UTF-8. If you want to try it you
> need to have cogito installed and clone
>
> 	http://elinks.cz/elinks.git#utf8
>
> It has UTF-8 charset option and many improvements to various dialogs.
> I've been using it in gnome-terminal and am quite impressed. There are
> some unresolved issues so beware.

Thanks, Jonas.

I must say that this comes as a major disappointment where I am
concerned, all the more so when I saw on one of the elinks web site
pages that graphics mode support was high up on the list of "future
goals".

Since elinks is a text-mode browser I imagined that internationalization
should have been right at the top. Especially since elinks apparently
originated in Europe, noted for its language diversity.

Is there any chance the above-mentioned "fork" of elinks - as opposed
to the "main branch" will be integrated to elinks in the foreseeable
future or is it more likely that they will lead separate lives?

cga