[elinks-users] Questions about rendering of some web pages.

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Sat May 13 19:19:02 PDT 2006

I am rather amazed at the quality of the rendering provided by elinks.

Here's one page among many that play well with my 256-color setup:

  http://www.vivalavoce.com

Yet, I suspect that there may still be some issues with the
configuration of my display.

Here are a couple of things that I noticed:

1. Text background colors are often truncated to the length of the
   text rather than continuing to the end of the line. An example would
   be the gentoo.org web site where the different items on the home
   page are separated by a plum-colored line. When viewed with elinks
   these lines are terminated immediately after the last character in
   the heading.

2. Many sites have a horizontal line of buttons somewhere near the top
   with links to the main areas of the site. On the same www.gentoo.org
   home page this is rendered correctly (About | Projects | Docs ..  etc.)

   On the contrary at www.debian.org the links do not appear lined
   horizontally but rather as a vertical list to the left of the
   display:

   * About Debian
   * News
   * Getting Debian
   * Support
   * ..

   Worse, some sites - can't find one right now - have such a long list
   of links in that horizontal "site bar" that when displayed
   vertically you end up having to page down to actually see the
   beginning of the page.

I was wondering if everyone sees the same thing and if not if there is
anything I should change in my terminal/elinks configuration that might
help correct these issues?

If the above descriptions are unclear in any way, let me know and I'll
put up some screenshots.

Thanks,

cga