[elinks-users] Trouble with CPPFLAGS

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Wed Nov 22 11:30:05 PST 2006

Hej Daniel,

Daniel E. Macks <dmacks at netspace.org> wrote Wed, Nov 22, 2006:
> Building elinks-0.11.2 on my OS X machine, there are symtoms of some
> flag mishandling. [snip] The bug is in how the data from configure is
> labeled. [snip] Compiling also fails [snip]. Why isn't the -I flag in
> CPPFLAGS being passed? It's a bug in Makefile.config.in:
>
>   COMPILE = $(CC) $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)
>
> CPPFLAGS, a set of flags specifically designed to be passed to the
> compiler and lumped together with CFLAGS in configure.in, isn't being
> passed to the compiler along with CFLAGS. A more standard automake
> incantation would be:
>
>   COMPILE = $(CC) $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)

Thanks for the thorough report. Digging in the old historic repository,
it looks like CPPFLAGS was dropped[1] back on 2004-04-24 presumably
because nothing in the ELinks buildsystem used it (I don't know). Then
on 2006-08-05, a fix (well rather a workaround to the above change) for
iconv compilation was introduced. CPPFLAGS then reappeared[3] (in the
unstable branch "0.12.GIT") on 2006-08-05. All this has not been
backported to the 0.11 branch.

I have tried to correct these issues in a commit[4] to the development
branch. I know this doesn't help you much, unless you consider to try
out the trunk of the git repository or a nightly unstable tarball (which
usually is pretty stable anyway ;). The development branch has several
other compilation improvements targeted for Mac OS X, since I currently
develop on that platform.

[1] http://pasky.or.cz/gitweb.cgi?p=elinks-history.git;a=commit;h=ebad0e71572b41dac5376e148fe4b1b5cb9ccc33
[2] http://pasky.or.cz/gitweb.cgi?p=elinks.git;a=commit;h=6d7e9bfe5b6379bc5a492208ff735aeb840b17c5
[3] http://pasky.or.cz/gitweb.cgi?p=elinks.git;a=commit;h=40e257bedd59c35b4a54c5e85e4391383ad6bf84