[elinks-users] elinks, DOM, and javascript

Jonas Fonseca fonseca at diku.dk
Sat Apr 14 23:53:41 PDT 2007

Hello Yan,

Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote Fri, Apr 13, 2007:
> I've been playing with elinks.  It's a great browser and is almost
> exactly what I need....
>
> Before I dive deep into the code, what is the status of DOM / javascript
> implementation?

For rendering HTML and doing javascript ELinks still uses the original
HTML engine, which is beginning to show its age. It was written before
DOM and javascript really caught on so javascript support has kind of
been "glued on".

Work was started (a few times actually) to write a new HTML engine but
neither attempts have resulted in something that can replace the
original engine. There are some non-trivial stuff like incremental
implementation of DOM. The (recent) DOM engine, however, lives in the
tree and is used for HTML highlighting (optional feature at build time).
The DOM parser is mostly done, but the work for the layouter CSS
rendering part remains untouched.

> It seems to partially work, but I really, really need to manipulate form
> fields with javascript.

I am not much into the javascript support. I do, however, remember
seeing work on form manipulation.

> I build elinks with libsee and none of the javascript seems to work -
> not surprising given that it's documented that way.
>
> What needs to be done to implement DOM/javascript for forms?

Since you mention DOM, I guess you are requiring the ability to modify
the DOM tree by adding fields etc. ELinks doesn't expose such a thing.
So it might be a lot of work. On the other hand you don't say exactly
what you need so I don't want to sound too negative.