[elinks-users] SSL/TLS

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo kon at iki.fi
Thu Jul 12 01:02:19 PDT 2007

cga2000 <cga2000 at optonline.net> writes:

> When try to access an https:// site, a popup informs me that I am
> running a version of ELinks that does not support SSL/TLS.
>
> I am at version 0.11.1, which I compiled from source.

ELinks 0.11.1 supports SSL and TLS if its configure script finds
the appropriate library and header files: either OpenSSL, or
GNUTLS 1.2.0 or later.  The script recognizes --with-gnutls and
--with-openssl options for explicitly choosing one of these.  It
seems likely that you did not have the header files installed when
you configured ELinks.  Debian builds ELinks 0.11.1 with GNUTLS
and it appears to work mostly OK (apart from bugs 277 and 712).

There is though the contrib/wipe-out-ssl script, which attempts
to remove all SSL-related code from the source tree.  I guess
this is intended to make ELinks legal for countries that forbid
encryption hooks.  The script also adds "-no-ssl" to version
number.  We don't seem to distribute such crippled versions from
elinks.cz.

> I searched for solutions and there appears to be a patch to work around
> this problem.

I don't know which patch you are referring to.

> Should I take the patching path or upgrade to something more current?

Well there have been bugs fixed in ELinks 0.11.3 (and more in
0.11.3.GIT), so upgrading is advisable, but I don't think they
are what causes your build to reject SSL entirely.  Please just
check that you have installed the right header files (especially
<gnutls/gnutls.h> or <openssl/ssl.h>) and try configuring and
building ELinks again.  With --enable-gnutls, I get:

checking for OpenSSL... not used
checking for libgnutls-config... /usr/bin/libgnutls-config
checking for GNU TLS OpenSSL compatibility support... yes
checking gnutls/openssl.h usability... yes
checking gnutls/openssl.h presence... yes
checking for gnutls/openssl.h... yes
checking for MD5_Init in -lgnutls-openssl... yes
checking for GNU TLS (1.2 or later)... yes

If the checks fail, config.log usually reveals the reason.