[elinks-users] Changing the color of Google's input areas.

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 24 15:53:25 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 08:17:55AM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 04:40:25PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> > Would anyone know off the top of their head where I can cause the
> > background color of input areas to change when they are "ready" to
> > accept typing.
> > [...]
>
> In draw_current_link, there is this line:
>
>    i = !link_is_textinput(link) || ses->insert_mode == INSERT_MODE_OFF;
>
> So, make sure that document.browse.links.colors.invert is enabled.

Thanks much!

I (re-)enabled it via the GUI-style online manager--very useful when
tweaking your colors, since it gives you instant feedback-- so this is
working again.

Without a clear distinction between active/inactive text-entry fields,
pages such as google's search had become very difficult to use!

> There is no option to specify the colours of text fields specifically;
> they just take the colours of regular text in the document.  There is
> similarly no way to configure ELinks to differentiate between active and
> non-active or active in insert mode other than inverting the colours.
>
> So, currently, the only option is to enable the invert option, to give
> textareas the foreground and background colours of normal text while you
> are in insert mode or it is disabled (i.e. text editing is modeless) and
> those same colours inversed otherwise; or to disable the invert option,
> which means that whether the textarea is focused is distinguished solely
> by emboldening the text.
>
> For the first issue, I was going to suggest using a user stylesheet.
> Unfortunately, there is an issue in the current HTML engine that
> prevents styles from being applied to elements of a certain set, which
> includes textarea and input elements.  I'll try to fix the problem
> later, but I'ven't time just now.  The second issue might then be
> resolved either via a new option (but we already have too many) or via
> support for CSS's :focus psuedo-class (which might be tricky within the
> limitations of the current design).

I'm quite happy with the color-inversion feature .. Would probably need
to tweak it a bit since the text-entry field becomes black when I hit
enter and typed text is white or light grey ..  not really pretty .. but
functionally adequate.

Check out the rendering of:

uk.yahoo.com

.. for a sample of what I'm talking about.

What would make a world of difference would be to have sufficient CSS
capabilities to ensure that the links that "normally" correspond to
those horizontal menu bars that so many sites appear to favor these days
are rendered somewhat closer to the original.

What's currently happening is that all the links are listed one link per
line .. which may result in having several pages of such links before you
actually get to the text/article you want to read.

Are user style sheets .. and how you can enable them in Elinks ..
documented anywhere?  Would they help improve the rendering?

Thank you!
cga