[elinks-users] Shift-Tab, move-link-prev

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo kon at iki.fi
Wed Jul 9 09:12:06 PDT 2008

davidcollins001 at gmail.com writes:

> Thanks for your reply. I am using ELinks 0.11.4rc1  and konsole
> terminal. I have just tried shift-tab in urxvt and gnome-terminal and
> it works, I guess it is just konsole.

>From the konsole source code at
<http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/>, it appears
the characters sent for various key combinations can be changed
without recompiling.  In data/keyboard-layouts/default.keytab,
there are these lines:

 key Tab   -Shift       : "\t"
 key Tab   +Shift+Ansi  : "\E[Z"
 key Tab   +Shift-Ansi  : "\t"
 key Backtab     +Ansi  : "\E[Z"
 key Backtab     -Ansi  : "\t"

So, if the Ansi mode is enabled, then Shift-Tab results in the
same ESC [ Z sequence as in xterm; but if the mode is disabled,
then konsole sends just TAB and ELinks cannot know about Shift.
The older kdebase 3.3.0 has similar definitions in default.keytab.h.

Try running printf "\033<" before you start ELinks; perhaps that
will enable Ansi mode in konsole.  Alternatively, define a custom
keyboard layout that always sends ESC [ Z for Shift-Tab.  (I don't
know if konsole wants the layout file to be in a specific directory.)