[elinks-users] elinks support in the VIM Netrw plug-in

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:20:28 PDT 2008

2008/7/29 Ethan Mallove <ethan.mallove at sun.com>:
> I posted a tip on getting (e)links browser support for the
> VIM Netrw plug-in (see below). Just thought I'd post it here
> on the off-chance that someone here might either find it
> useful or have suggestions for improving it.

I do, yes:

#!/bin/sh
tempfile=`echo $* | awk '{print $1}'`
url=`echo $* | awk '{print $2}'`
elinks -dump $url > $tempfile

1.  You mean "$@" over $*.
2.  $() is more readable over backticks -- those shells which can't
understand that aren't worth worrying about.  Full stop.
3.  Use more quotes.  You should quote:

"$@"
"$url"
"$tempfile"

I note presumable since you're a Sun employee that you're using a
shell from the arc.  Oh dear.  See point 2 above if so.

Useful tip otherwise.

-- Thomas Adam