[elinks-users] elinks + mutt: problems with utf-8 encoding

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 11 04:16:20 PDT 2008

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your reply.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:54:35PM +0200, أحمد المحمودي wrote:
>   I use elinks as email viewer in mutt too, and my consoles are utf-8,
>   and I got not problem.
>
>   I don't use the -codepage option in the mailcap, yet there is a
>   setting in elinks Option manager: Document->Dump output->Codepage, I
>   set that to "System".

It's set to "System" in my case as well.

>   To test that out, try saving a german HTML file on your disk (say
>   /tmp/test.html).
>
>   Then run: elinks -dump -force-html /tmp/test.html, and see if it gets
>   displayed properly.

Your suggestion helped me to narrow down the problem a bit. It turns out
that the html mails that elinks doesn't dump properly are not encoded in
utf-8, and when mutt pipes the body to elinks, it doesn't change the
encoding. So elinks is getting a (e.g.) iso-8859-1 encoded text that it
tries to treat as utf-8 (because the message body doesn't specify its
iso-8859-1 encoding). When I save the message body to disk and change its
encoding to utf-8 (I did that through Emacs), elinks can dump it correctly.

So I guess I need to figure out how to make sure mutt reencodes the message
body to utf-8, unless of course if there's some way to get elinks guess the
encoding from the file's contents, rather than assume its utf-8.

BTW, I notice your name's in Arabic (although in my case the characters are
displayed backward and unconnected.) Do you use mutt to read/write mail in
Arabic? If so, may I ask which terminal emulator you use, and which editor?
I've tried a couple of times to get mutt to handle Arabic mail properly,
but never got it right...

Thanks,

Joost

--