[elinks-users] elinks + mutt: problems with utf-8 encoding

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 15 05:41:06 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:16:20PM +0200, Joost Kremers wrote:
> So I guess I need to figure out how to make sure mutt reencodes the message
> body to utf-8, unless of course if there's some way to get elinks guess the
> encoding from the file's contents, rather than assume its utf-8.

Ok, I've looked at how mutt normally deals with this stuff. it turns out,
mutt can specify the encoding of the message on the command with something
like the following in .mailcap:

text/html; lynx -dump -force_html -assume_charset %{charset} -localhost %s; copiousoutput

The assumption being that the html viewer has an option to specify the
encoding of the html file.

Unfortunately, elinks doesn't seem to have such an option (correct me if
I'm wrong, though), so I'm now back to lynx as html viewer... :-/

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Frankfurt