Installing Shadow - a hint related to enhancing security

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 31 09:36:53 PDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:30:57AM -0500, J.A. Neitzel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is this Ian Chilton? Well, I just wanted to send a message to say that
> I'm working on doing a hint about Shadow and related Security
> Enhancements to a default LFS install.

Actually, you have reached a mailinglist where hint administrators are
subscribed to, and people working very close with them.

> It's not done yet. I believe a couple of the suggestions I mention might
> be better in the book itself, but since LFS is not designed to be a guide
> to security I figure a hint is a good thing. Let me know if such
> endeavour is not needed.
>
> If Gerard and others decide any of the things I mention will fit nicely
> into the book, I will remove these bits to avoid superfluous info.
> Duplication is not necessary. Might take a week or so to get it all
> together and formatted; then I'll send it to you.

If you want to go that way, send the hint to me personally first when
you're done. I'll have a look at it and pick the bits and pieces that
would go in the book. Then you can remove those bits, modify the hint a
bit where needed, submit it here and Ian or somebody else will put it
online while I"ll be updating the book as well.

www.linuxfromscratch.org