DOH! try this..

RoryO roryo at roryo.dynup.net
Sat Jul 21 17:01:12 PDT 2001

Checked the URL's, they are valid... ;)

-------------- next part --------------
TITLE:          PPPOE
LFS VERSION:    3.0pre4
AUTHOR:         Chris Lynn <roryo at roryo.dynup.net>

SYNOPSIS:
        It's the configuring of your LFS thats the tricky bit.  ;)

HINT:
Well, you've got your brand-spanking new LFS, now you want to connect your
nice dsl / adsl connection to it.  You are going to need the following :

        http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/ppp-2.4.1-pppoe2.tgz
        http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.2.tar.gz

You are also going to need a kernel above 2.4.2.  There were some issues
with pppoe and 2.4.2. kernel.  I'm currently using 2.4.7 and its screaming
along. The latest kernel can be found at ftp.kernel.org or your local
mirror.

Installing the kernel.

        cd /usr/src &&
        mkdir linux-2.4.7 &&
        mv linux linux-2.4.6 &&
        ln -s linux-2.4.7 linux &&
        tar yxvf linux-2.4.7.tar.bz2 &&
        cd linux &&
        make mrproper &&
        make menuconfig

You will have to replace linux-2.4.6 with the version of your current
kernel.

You will have to enable the following in your kernel configuration:

        Code maturity level options -->
                [*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

        General setup -->
                [*] Networking support

        Network options -->
                <*> Packet socket
                [*]    Packet socket: mmaped IO
                [*] TCP/IP networking

        Network device support -->
                [*] Network device support
                <*> PPP (point-tp-point protocol) support
                [ ]    PPP Multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL)
                <M>    PPP support for async serial ports
                <M>    PPP support for sync tty ports
                <M>    PPP Deflate compression
                <M>    PPP SD_Compress compression
                < >    PPP over ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)

You will notice that we leave pppoe out of the kernel modules, this is due
to the fact that we cannot debug later if we use the kernel driver. Not
that you will need to debug.  ;)

        File systems -->
                [*]  /dev/pts file system for Unix98 PTYs

Now there are a LOT of options that u need to have a proper kernel, these
are just those required to get your pppoe running. Next :

        make dep &&
        make bzImage &&
        make modules &&
        make modules_install &&
        cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/lfskernel

Make sure that you lilo after all that.  Now comes the real work:

PPPD :-

        cd /usr/src &&
        tar zxvf ppp-2.4.0-pppoe4.tgz &&
        cd ppp-2.4.0.pppoe4 &&
        ./confiure &&
        make &&
        make install

Then to do some configuring :

        echo "plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.1/pppoe.so" > /etc/ppp/options

        cat >> /etc/modules.conf << "EOF"
        alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
        alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
        alias tty-ldisk-3       ppp_async
        alias tty-ldisk-14      ppp_synctty
        alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
        alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
        alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate
        EOF

RP-pppoe :-

        cd /usr/src &&
        tar zxvf rp-pppoe-3.2.tar.gz &&
        cd rp-pppoe-3.2 &&
        ./go

Roaring penguin will auto-magically do everything for you, well almost,
you'll have to answer some questions for it.  Now before you adsl-start
there are two more things we need to do.

Lets add the following to /etc/fstab:

        none /dev/pts devpts guid=4,mode620 0 0

And that should be it!  Time for a reboot to get then kernel installed.

OK, now that you've got your new kernel up and running you should try:

adsl-start

If you get the ...Connected! then your in business.  8-)  If not then you
are going to have to read the rp-pppoe docs and do some debuggin, now you
see why i didn't use the experimental kernel driver.

I hope you enjoy you LFS with xDSL installed!

A big thanks go to all the guys on #lfs for all their help.