Hint Submission - shadowpasswd_plus.txt

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 8 06:19:11 PDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 02:18:21AM -0500, J.A. Neitzel wrote:
> Well, here is my little shadow hint. I hope it's okay. If it's not, let
> me know, and I'll fix what needs fixing...

Looks good. I think I don't want to include any chunks of it in the book
but just give an url to the hint, it has a lot more explanations in it
than I expected. By taking chunks of it it'll probably confuse people
and take things out of context.

Now, one thing is that if the hint is mentioned people should be able to
use this as a stand-in for the current instructions, or for something to
do after they already installed shadow, because you mention things like
run pwconv and go to another terminal to try and login. That's not
possible because we're in chroot still.

So perhaps you can add some notes about it. Also, pwconv is run later on
in chapter 6 during configuring essential software. I'm planning to
refer to the hint during the actual installation instructions, so I will
add a line in the config. section liek "if you haven't read the shadow
hint yet, run this command to enable shadow passwords".

If people want to use the hint 'after the fact' (of installing the
package), the sed to enable MD5 in login.defs should be seperated. Add a
sentence like "If you are reading this hint after the shadow password
installation and you have performed that installation by-the-lfs-book,
then run this one command to turn on MD5 support".

If you could make these changes it'll be great. I'll add the url to the
book when you submit a revised version.

Thanks again,

www.linuxfromscratch.org