let's finally get a hints index

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 9 03:00:05 PST 2002

On Saturday 09 February 2002 01:52, you wrote:
> I've just noticed that the hints index link still says "Coming soon". This
> is kinda ridiculous as it said the same thing many months ago. So I have
> hacked together the attached shell script. Just use it like this
>
> indexhints /wherever/you/have/the/hints/*.txt >index.html
>
> and you'll get a pretty useable index (definitely better than none at
> all). Some hints will need fixing to comply with WRITING_HINTS (most
> notably gcc_multiple_versions.txt and lfs_bare_build.txt).
>
> MSB

I will see to it. I've got some free time next week (I'm away till Tuesday),
then I will have a look at the hints, and categorize them (If we have come up
with a set of Categorys till then.)

> p.s.: You should define a set of categories for the hints (maybe put it up
> for discussion on lfs-dev and/or blfs-support) and add a CATEGORY part to
> the WRITING_HINTS and reject all updates and new submissions without it.
> This would make the hints index much more usable. For instance we need to
> distinguish between hints relating to the building of base LFS (such as
> keep_chap5_and_chap6_separate) and hints describing software packages not
> part of base LFS.

Yes I think this is a good Idea.

Ian what do you think about this? If you agree, we could make a Poll on the
BLFS list, to ask what Categorys the people like to have.
We should also agree whether Hints may belong to more than one category.
As I said above, I would like to do  the categorizing.

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org