Hint: Install Midnight Commander

Barbara Pfieffer bjp at bejay.com
Wed Jan 16 10:27:23 PST 2002

TITLE:
	Midnight_Commander
LFS VERSION:	3.1
AUTHOR:
	Barbara Pfieffer <mudadmin at bejay.com>

SYNOPSIS:
	How to install Midnight Commander (MC) and required glib

HINT:

I like to use Midnight Commander for a file manager, which works
in both terminals and X.

Download Midnight Commander 4.5.55
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/utils/file/managers/mc/mc-4.5.55.tar.gz

Download glib 1.2.10 (not the 1.3 versions)
ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.2/glib-1.2.10.tar.gz

Unpack glib-1.2.10 and change to its directory.

I put all newly installed packages (nonstandard lfs) in /usr/local, so
that's where these will be installed.

To install glib: (run as root)
./configure &&
make &&
rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h \
	/install-prefix/include/gmodule.h &&
make install

Then type ldconfig (to allow the libraries to be found)
If you installed in /usr/local as I did, edit your PATH:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

Unpack mc-4.5.55 and change to its directory

To install MC:
./configure --with-ncurses &&
make &&

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org