Upload patches???

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 25 07:56:17 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:21:16 -0400, Mark Hymers wrote:

> On Wed, 24, Jul, 2002 at 04:33:19PM -0700, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee spoke
> thus..
>> How about /home/ftp/lfs-hints?  All that's generally in there is the
>> hints nightly extract tarball.  Seems the best place to put the
>> patches.
>
> Hmm. That sounds too much like you'd expect the hints to be in there.
> What about /home/ftp/hints-patches?
>
> Actually, while I'm thinking *why* aren't the individual hints available
> via FTP? (They aren't as far as I can see)
>
> Why not something like:
>
> /home/ftp/hints - contains the hints and complete hints tarball
> /home/ftp/hints-patches - contains patches
>
> ??
>
> Mark

Well, I am not sure I agree with that.  The nightly bz2's extract is
rather tiny, and is almost instantaneous even over 56k Dial-Up.  I think
separating each hint would waste drive space, and bandwidth (Believe it
or not).  As well the "hints" directory created by the tarball is a
wonderful resource of "hey I hadn't thought of that" type stuff.

Hoenstly though I think lfs-hints.tar.bz2 is just plainly too small to
warrant separating.

Scot Mc Pherson
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org