Hints Index

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 13:46:57 PST 2002

On Monday 25 March 2002 22:04, you wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 08:23:57PM +0000, Ian Chilton wrote:
> > I think maintaining separate directories for hints would make checking
> > in, updating and maintaining more complicated...
>
> A little bit perhaps. But the added convenience for users is a lot easier.
>
> The LFS-BOOK for example says when installing Vim, check
> hints.lfs.org/hints/ for hints for other editor installations. Now, if you
> don't know the name of an editor you'd never know that 'joe' is an editor.
>
> Now, if the book says "check hints.lfs.org/hints/editors/" for other editor
> choices, it's a lot easier to ppl to look at all the editor hints without
> missing one or two if they're all conglomerated in one big directory
> listing (like currently done).

thats not the Idea, I think we can have the best of both worlds.
I second Ian's scepticism about directorys, I think it will make the checkin
more complicated.

Of course A simple directory listing wouldn't be sensible for a hint index,
Instead it would look like this: (the tags are pure imagination, and would be
the appropiate HTML tags)

<Title> LFS Hint Index </>

<TOC> Listing of Categorys (With short Description)

<Category>Editors: </>

Emacs
Joe
Jed
Pico

<Category> Whatever </>

hints...

<End index>

The URLs would then read
hints.lfs.org/hints#editors
instead of
hints.lfs.org/hints/editors/

Another upside of this aproach is that you can search the page for a hint
with a simple ^F

The script for this is of course a bit more complicated, than its subdir
counterpart, since it has to do some sorting, but its not a great problem

I hope you could make some sence out of my gobbeldygook.

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org