Hints Index

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 16:17:32 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:46:57PM +0100, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> thats not the Idea, I think we can have the best of both worlds.
> I second Ian's scepticism about directorys, I think it will make the checkin
> more complicated.

Really, I doubt that. At most it may take you 5 more seconds to type in a
directory name to store the file in. Instead of ian doing, from mutt for
example, "save attachment in /home/ian/hints-cvs/" he could do "save
attachment in /home/ian/hints-cvs/editors/ or hints-cvs/filesystems or
hints-cvs/misc/".

Is that really all that complicated?

I really don't want to start 'hard-coding' existing hints in the lfs-book
like "At last check the available editor hints were (at
hints.lfs.org/hints/) emacs.txt, joe.txt, whatever.txt".

Such lists are repeated for filesystems, bootloaders and more. They'll
become oudated soon because I'm not going to re-check those lists every
time.

> <Title> LFS Hint Index </>
>
> <TOC> Listing of Categorys (With short Description)
>
> <Category>Editors: </>
>
> Emacs
> Joe
> Jed
> Pico
>
> <Category> Whatever </>
>
> hints...
>

> <End index>

If that's going to be done, that's fine by me too. I need the hints
classified somehow. Either diretory structure, or use <ul> html tag to
group the categories.

Anything is better than "look for editor hints at hints.lfs.org/hints/ and
hope you know all the existing editor names by head because we have no
index for you".

> Another upside of this aproach is that you can search the page for a hint
> with a simple ^F

Searching has never been a problem: search.linuxfromscratch.org

You can narrow a search to the hints.linuxfromscratch.org domain.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org