Fwd: Hints

Ian Chilton ian at ichilton.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 05:48:20 PDT 2002

----- Forwarded message from buggy <buggy at segmentationfault.de> -----

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:32:05 +0200
From: buggy <buggy at segmentationfault.de>
To: ian at ichilton.co.uk
Subject: Hints

Hello Ian,

Browsing the hints section of LFS (one of my favorite jobs when i do not like to start
with my real job-stuff) i read the wishlist today. There is a call for a hint
regarding timeserver.
I could provide such a hint in 3 to 4 weeks. What i like to know is: Is the hints
section somewhat coordinated? I mean, is there a process to avoid the parallel
working on the same hints by several authors?

At the moment i build a complete network (mainly based on Linux and LFS) for my
company, so there is some stuff to write about. Some ideas:

- Time server hint (because we really need one to get functional logs. It will
be a server driving NTP, fetching its time from a DCF-77 or GPS. As a backup
mechanism it will fetch from a NTP-Sever in the internet.)

- I set up a very slim packetfilter (netfilter/iptables) which runs completely
in a ramdisk, provides only static binaries, boots from CD and all its configs
are located on a floppy disk. The system does not have a harddisk.

- I will build a transparent proxy system based on Kernel 2.2 (with Openwall
patch) running the TIS Firewall Toolkit (FWTK). It is needed because we want
a firewall infrastructure consisting of three parts: external (iptables),
proxy (TIS) and internal (BSD). This box should guarantee a filter mechanism
on application layer (layer 7).

- We will have a server (maybe a server cluster) running djbdns together
with DHCP (internal) acting as primary and secondary DNS. One of them will
probably be a root DNS for our domain.

- One box will be our external mailserver (qmail based) together with
virus filtering mechanisms.

What do you think? Which of these ideas are interesting? What could be
written up as a hint?

If you think you could use one, i will do my best and write it. But it
will least minimum of 4 weeks, because i am very busy now building
the network.

best regards,

 Stefan

----- End forwarded message -----