(another) boot-cd_easy.txt question

adam boz adam_boz at phreaker.net
Sun Oct 27 07:57:06 PST 2002

Hi all.  I have just created a bootable cd via following the
boot-cd_easy hint, but I ran into some major problems along the way.
I'm not sure if it was just my system, or if something needs to be
changed in the hint.

when I created the $LFS/boot/initrd image, and mounted it to $LFS/mnt, I
  there was not enough space in it to put the files needed in.  It would
give me a "not enough space" error when I tried to put libncurses.so.5,
libdl.so.2, ect... and after that.

I figured that I might as well double the count= value, still no luck...
so I quadrupled it (to count=24576) , and that gave me enough space.
However, when I made the cd and booted it, I got this:

vfs: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory: 88k freed
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0 want 16390, limit= 16384
ext2-fs error (device ramdisk (1,0)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read
inode block
   -inode=8194, block=16389
warning: unable to open an initial console
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0 want 16390, limit= 16384
ext2-fs error (device ramdisk (1,0)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read
inode bloc
  -inode=8193, block= 16389
kernel panic: no init found. try passing init= option to kernel

so, I then did it again, this time also X4'ing the ramdisk_size that was
sent to the kernel via isolinux.cfg.

so now it works great.  The only thing is that I have 32M of ramdisk
when I boot, which takes up a good amount of ram (plus, the system is
only using 1% of it).

Did I do something wrong, or does this happen to a lot of people?  is
there a way to lower the ramdisk size w/ out rendering the system
un-bootable?

Any insight would be great... I want to be able to use this on machines
w/ very little ram.

thanks in advance

-Adam

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org